Coconut milk is the liquid that comes from the grated pulp of a mature coconut. Coconut milk has a wide array of health benefits, hair and skin uses, diet and weight loss, and uses around the home. The opacity and rich taste of coconut milk are due to its high oil content, most of which is saturated fat.
Coconut milk is often considered a “miracle liquid” since coconut milk nutrition offers great ability to build up the body’s immune defenses and prevent disease. And along with it’s siblings coconut oil and coconut water are among the world’s healthiest foods.
Once you have your hands on some good coconut milk, you can get started with some of these clever natural beauty tricks.
- Coconut milk can be used for a gorgeous shine and increased growth. Simply massage pure coconut milk into wet hair and let it sit for a few minutes before shampooing or simply rinsing.
- How about a natural hair mask? Mash half an avocado with two tablespoons of olive oil and three tablespoons of coconut milk. Apply to the hair and scalp and cover with a shower cap for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- And something for everyday use, a moisturizing coconut milk shampoo. Grab an empty jar or bottle and blend 1/4 cup castile soap, 1/4 cup coconut milk and 20 drops of your favorite essential oils.
- Use coconut oil to remove makeup, instead of buying expensive products. Mix 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup rose water, one teaspoon of witch hazel, and five drops of rosehip oil. Mix well and store in a tinted glass bottle. Apply gently with a face cloth or cotton ball, then rinse clean.
- You have the recipe for a hair mask, why not make a coconut milk face mask too? The recipes are similar, start with a tablespoon of coconut milk, and mix in 1/2 teaspoon kefir, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and enough raw honey to form a paste. Apply to the face and leave for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- You can also try a simple coconut milk facial scrub made with just two ingredients. Soak a tablespoon of rolled oats in coconut milk for ten minutes, then gently scrub the face and neck before rinsing.
If you want all-over smooth and glowing skin, make a coconut milk bath. Run a warm bath and mix in one cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup rose water. Enjoy!
How about a coconut milk body wash? Mix together a 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk with 1/3 cup liquid castile soap. You can use lavender scented soap or add essential oils for a relaxing scent. Combine in a squeeze bottle and lather up. Shake it up a bit before using.
For chronic skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, coconut milk can be used as a soothing and moisturizing treatment. You don’t have to do much, just apply coconut milk directly on the skin and leave for 20 minutes before showering.